Our newest experience takes travellers on an intimate journey along the Thai-Burma border and into remote communities of Myanmar. On the 12 day journey, you will visit community development projects that improve the education, health and employment opportunities of communities in Mae Sot in Thailand and Myeik and Pathein in Myanmar.
- Expert guide
- All transport between Bangkok and Yangon
- Travel insurance for the duration of the tour
- Entry to museums and activities
- Visa for Myanmar
Our tour starts in Yangon, Myanmar and ends in Bangkok, Thailand. Guests can enjoy the Encounter as an independent travel experience or as part of a longer adventure visiting other cities and cultures in South East Asia.
Palms Encounters are designed in coordination with local staff to craft the most enriching experience for our travellers while ensuring a positive experience for the staff and students of our host organisations.
Below are some of the highlights of this experience. Guests will receive a detailed itinerary closer to the date of departure. Your itinerary depending on transport, weather and considerations for our host communities.
Mae Sot, Thailand
Mae Sot encapsulates the diversity of Thailand, with gorgeous hotels and malls, and inescapable social inequality. It is home to many ethnic Burmese, some seeking asylum from Myanmar, others waiting to return home.
Thai-Burma Friendship Bridge
The border crossing at the Thai-Burma Friendship Bridge is an opportunity to see the stark contrasts between the two countries. As a trading place and busy thoroughfare, the energy of this place is tangible and travellers are invited to reflect on the experience of this seemingly simple crossing for the citizens on either side.
Pagodas of Myeik
This southern coastal town sits between several remarkable pagodas, that very few tourists have the chance to visit.
* Travellers will be required to complete the following at their own expense. Please note, some of these may take time to process and this should be started as soon as possible after the tour is confirmed.
- Flights to Bangkok and from Yangon.
- Medical approval for travel to Thailand and Myanmar, including to remote areas
- Police Check
- Working with Children Check
Read our complete Terms and Conditions for more information and get in touch with Palms if you have any questions.